Keep Calm and Carry On

Notice anything odd about this clip from yesterday's tech rehearsal?  Perhaps that the kids are singing along to only cello accompaniment?  Wondering where my better half, my composer/pianist and best friend Robby could possibly be at 5:25 during our second day of tech? 

Have I peaked your curiosity?

So my day yesterday went like this:

Wake up.   Try to catch up on emails and get my blog posted using my computer that seems to have a virus so it freezes up every few seconds or so.  Run around trying to find clean clothes and something to eat in my barren cupboard.  Subway in.  Stop at Duane Reade to buy 12 rolls of toilet paper, snacks, makeup for Greg (let him explain), and baby wipes.  Empty the trash in the theatre and along with my Stage Manager and ASM, lug eight bags of trash outside to the dumpster.  Organize the costume racks.  Have a fight with the contractors from the city of NY who show up fifteen minutes before we are about to start to "measure the windows" for the building restoration project that the theatre is part of.  Robby arrives and falls through the trap door on the upper catwalk with Clarice's $70,000 cello in hand, gashing his left shin.  Ji Ji wraps the wound and we send Robby off to a clinic to have it looked at.  We start where we left off with tech, sans piano.  Robby gets sent to the Emergency Room because his injury is that bad.  Between running tech I am on the phone with either Robby at the ER or the Insurance company because trying to figure out how to use the Accident Medical Insurance Policy that you have to purchase (thank you, Equity) is like finding your way out of Pan's Labyrinth.  Robby is trapped at the ER while they do x-rays, doctors and nurses fight over his x-rays (something regarding an "unidentified object" floating around in his leg), they seal his wound with 14 stiches, they try and get to the bottom of how to file the claim to our insurance, etc.  I have at least 25 conversations on the phone with our insurance provider who can't "provide" me with a billing address to send the claim to so he can leave the ER.  (Something about the vendor they got the insurance from being in CA and everyone being out at lunch.  No kidding.)  Finally at 4:59, I get the billing address, the doctor and nurse stop fighting, Robby is released, and I have time to video tape the most brilliant cast in the world singing "The Face" to cello accompaniment.

All in a days work.

But when I look at this video and I think of the work that my cast and production team did yesterday, in the midst of a crisis, I am again overwhelmed with gratitude for these exceptional people I have brought together for this project.  Everyone just carried on as if there were a piano.  Everyone just carried on as if I weren't 6 contractors hanging out the windows taking measurements behind them.  Everyone just carried on as I screamed at insurance providers in CA coming back from their leisurely lunch break.  That's what I call a team.  So, this video will always be precious to me because it will remind me of the day when everyone proved that if you just put your mind to it, the show will go on.